I hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July! I definitely did…since I had the day off I slept in pretty late (for me), then we rolled into town to see the parade. It was my first year watching the Bar Harbor 4th of July Parade. Well, two years ago I got a glimpse of it while running the MDI 4th Relay Around the Island (I got stuck running the leg that’s the last 9 miles of the MDI Marathon course- brutal).
The rest of the day was pretty much sleeping and “nesting.” All of baby’s clothes are washed and folded/hung up, bottles have been washed out, and I finished writing all the thank you cards from my baby showers. Later that night my mom came into town and we went out to watch the fireworks, which I’d only ever seen in Bar Harbor one other time before. Since the crowd was pretty thick after the show, we took our time walking back and stopped to get ice cream (sea salt caramel in a waffle cone = amazing).
Now that the holidays (this is a 3 week summer stretch from Father’s Day to the 4th, with my birthday right in between) are over, I’ve been moving through the checklist of Baby Z prep fairly quickly. I have half a hospital bag packed (I’m at 34 weeks as of today, so half is good for now), a pediatrician picked out, and am ordering the last few things tonight (thermometer, nail clippers, lotion). This weekend I’m getting a prenatal massage, which was a birthday gift, and I’m pretty stoked about it. As my weight keeps increasing in front, my lower back has been in more pain, especially when I go for walks these days. Time to get the maternity belt out!
As a first time pregnant lady, there are some things I’ve been worried about throughout the past 8 months. Some of them may seem absurd, but even so, here are my top 10 worries in this last month-ish:
- What if I don’t know when I’m going into labor? This one will probably seem silly to anyone who has given birth before, but in the interest of being totally honest, it’s a concern for me. Basically I’m worried that I won’t know, we’ll get stuck in traffic (hospital we’re delivering at is 1.5 hours away), and boom! Baby gets delivered on the side of the road somewhere.
- I’ll mess up installing the car seat. While this is entirely possible, I know the local police station is an available resource for checking car seats.
- My baby won’t like me.
- I’m forgetting something, and I don’t know what it is.
- Choosing a name. I’m a fairly indecisive person already, and while we have a short list figured out, there’s something about the finality of the choice that makes me anxious.
- Breastfeeding won’t “work.” This is a fairly common worry, so I know I’m not alone, but I’m still worried that there will be issues with latching, or if I stop producing milk for some reason.
- My baby will cry a lot…like, A LOT. Some babies cry more than others, and it’s not something I’ll necessarily have any control over.
- My child won’t like vegetables. I mean, I didn’t like vegetables, and meal time was a massive p.i.t.a. for my family.
- Something “bad” will happen during labor/delivery. This is one of those things I can’t/shouldn’t spend too much brain power worrying about. So far everything is low risk and fine. Focusing on relaxing and enjoying the last weeks should be my primary focus. Whatever unknowns are in the future…I’ll just have to deal with them if/when they come up.
- I’m not ready to be a mom. Again, this is one of those “not exclusive to me” first time mom concerns, but I’m finding that as things get finalized and I realize in less than two months I’ll actually have a baby, I worry that I won’t be the mom she deserves. All I can do is give her the best of what I have, and shower her with all the love I have to offer, and forget about this whole “ready or not” business.
Fortunately most of my worries fall under “A lot of people feel this way” or “There’s nothing I can do about this now, so I shouldn’t worry about it too much.” Overall, even the “I’m not ready” worry is remarkably fleeting and the good feelings FAR outweigh any of these anxieties 🙂
How was your 4th of July?
What are/were some of your pregnancy related worries?
How do you work through things that cause you anxiety?