This weekend was my birthday, which was full of family, friends, and of course, cake. Baby Z’s first shower was also on my birthday- the last time I opened that many presents was definitely at one of my younger year parties.
Mom did the setup and all the organizing/inviting/a lot of cooking/making sure the cake was taken care of (we both have strong cake opinions and this doubled as my bday cake). My Aunt Sue did an awesome baby shower game with prizes (it was a real stumper!). It meant so much to see everyone there that was able to come, and the gifts were overwhelming! We have a lot of love and support already, I can’t believe how fast this last trimester is going! Baby Z has some adorable clothes and lots to read, now she just has to get here 🙂
To celebrate turning 27, here are 27 things I’ve learned over the years (in no particular order):
1. Attitude is everything
2. “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”
3. Happiness is an inside job- only you are responsible for your own happiness.
4. This too shall pass.
5. Family is the most important thing- and you can choose who your “family” is
6. Do things that are different/scary, because they give you a while new perspective.
7. Laugh as much as possible.
8. In that vein, laughing so hard you get a piece of ravioli or Cadbury egg up your nose is a painful experience.
9. NEVER sleep with your contacts in!
10. Approach all things from a place of love.
11. Being vulnerable with people is one of the best feelings. It’s scary at first but it’s the gateway to authentic relationships (with yourself included).
12. Life takes a lot of twists and turns. The more you learn to accept that you’re not really in control of things, the easier it is to take things in stride.
13. Love hard, forgive hard.
14. If you’re a bad singer, singing in a funny voice makes it is much more fun than trying to sing well anyway.
15. Chocolate may not cure everything, but it sure does help.
16. Traveling by yourself is a great learning experience.
17. Read as much as possible- there’s no better way to expand your mind.
18. Snail mail beats text messages every time (so do phone calls- coming from a person who hates answering the phone ;))
19. “Nothing ever goes away until it teaches us what we need to know” (Pema Chodron)
20. The past isn’t something you have to wear around like a chain.
21. Learning to be alone and comfortable can really improve your relationships with others.
22. You are not responsible for anyone else’s feelings, just as they’re not responsible for yours.
23. Mom was right, I really did end up liking vegetables after all 🙂
24. Never stop learning.
25. You’re never too old to sing along with (or watch) old Disney movies.
26. A good night’s sleep gives a new perspective on all things.
27. Never stop learning.
I hope everyone had a great weekend!
What’s something you’ve learned that would be a good addition to the list?
How was your weekend? Did it involve cake and/or ice-cream?